Having water and sewage coverage is an important part of homeownership. Spring can wreak havoc on basements, storage units, and businesses! Keep reading to learn the basics of water and sewer coverage, including the different types of water damage and what you can expect when making a claim.

Why should you choose water and sewer coverage?

Having coverage for water is especially important in Saskatchewan, where you’re twice as likely to have damage from water or a sewer back-up than from fire or theft. With big snowfalls and fast transitions between our seasons, water damage can be devastating.

homes bordering a field in winter. Snow melt is one of the leading causes of spring flooding.

The 4 types of water claims.

When it comes to insurance coverage, not all water damage is equal! Your insurance policy stipulates the different types of water damage and which of them are covered. It is important to talk with your broker about which kind of insurance policy will be right for your needs. If you live near water, or in a flood prone area, you should consider adding full coverage to your existing home insurance for peace of mind. 

  1. Flood

    Flood water is water that overflows and/or rises above its normal level causing damage to property. If you live in a flood-prone area, this coverage will provide you with the protection you need.
  2. Surface water

    This is water on the surface of the ground which enters your property above the ground level. This often occurs in events such as extreme rainfall and flash flooding and enters through doors and windows. 
  3. Groundwater

    This is any water that enters the property from underground, such as a flooding basement. One important thing to know about groundwater coverage is that it will only be covered when it’s sudden and accidental and happens in conjunction with a flood or surface water.
  4. Sewer backup

    One of the more common and most damaging of the four water types. This is when water or sewage overflows into the home from the sewer, sump, or septic tank. Having sewer coverage is important, especially if you live in an older neighbourhood where damages to water mains or ageing plumbing can be troublesome. 

Add water and sewage coverage to your home insurance policy.

With two coverage options, you can choose the coverage that is right for you and your family. These add-ons are easy to add to your existing or new home insurance policy, making it easy and convenient to get the protection you need.

  • Water Protection Coverage:

    This coverage option will provide you with coverage for damage caused by flood, surface water, groundwater, and sewer backup. You can rest assured knowing that your home is protected by adding Water Protection Coverage to your Prestige (if available), Homeowners Insurance, or Agro/Farm insurance policy.
  • Sewer Back-Up Coverage:

    This coverage takes some of the costs of sewer damage off your plate. If any water or sewage enters your home by accidental discharge or escape/overflow from a sewer, sump, or septic tank, this coverage option will help to offset the cost. Sewer back-up coverage can be added to your Prestige (if available), Homeowners Insurance, Mobile Home Insurance, Tenant Insurance, Condo Insurance, or Agro/Farm Insurance policy.
Insurance broker shows client details about an insurance policy.

Schedule a Covid-safe appointment with us today to learn more.

It’s easy to protect your home from accidental water damage by adding water and sewage coverage to your existing home insurance policy. Talk to your trusted Kessler advisor today if you want to find out more about coverage options.